[Cialug] resume assistance

Tim Champion timchampion at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 11:47:01 CDT 2010

I had absolutely no luck finding any quality resume & cover letter service
in the area. I tried one guy, who promised that I would only pay him when I
was happy with the cover letter, but I was never happy with the cover
letter, and I didn't use it, nor did I pay him. I'm still looking, so if
anybody knows of a good cover letter writer, pass it along!

For resumes, just pack them full of specific technical accomplishments
you've done in each job. I good IT resume should be 2-4 dense pages. At the
top should be either a well formed paragraph, or a bulleted list (5 or so
bullets) that summarizes your skills and talents.

I've been on the hiring end a couple times, and from my experience, the
cover letter is more important than a resume.  -- and because I hold that
opinion, I have a huge hang-up on constructing a quality cover letter to the
point where I work through recruiters instead so I don't have to deal with
cover letters.

As far as recruiters, I personally recommend Paragon IT in Des Moines:
http://www.paragonitpros.com/

Tim Champion
timchampion at gmail.com