[Cialug] resume assistance

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Aug 31 09:44:52 CDT 2010

Read "Don't Send A Resume" by Jeffrey Fox to learn why the old style resumes don't work anymore.

Then grab one of those 101 Resumes books and just start throwing stuff together.  Your resume is going to suck.  That's OK.

Then contact one of the recruiting companies here in town.  Alliance does this sort of work, I think so does Palmer and Executive Resources.  The recruiters will review the resume you created and either fix it for you or tell you what needs fixing.  They're paid when you get what you want, not before.

Then get an interview question book and practice linking the common interview questions to specific resume talking points.

This way you learn what's necessary and build the stories that you need to tell in interviews.  The other method is to pay someone on Craig's List $50 or someone at a firm $250 to get a fancy piece of paper that's not going to help you land a job anyway.  After all, they're not in business to get you a job, they're in business to make pieces of paper.

-Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701