[Cialug] a question

chris c.rheinherren at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 18:08:04 CDT 2010

Thank you everyone so much for the valuable information you have given me
with my quest here.

A better understanding of the command line in Linux. I have installed
applications from source on my home computer but I always just take the
default settings. So if it installs to my home directory that is where it
goes, if it goes someplace else then that is where it goes. I would like to
see in action and then do in action of installing software to where it makes
more sense to some of my "purist" friends like to /opt or other directories.
Setting up individual users for those apps with individual permissions so in
the case of a security breach the whole box isnt compromised, just that
application.

Bash scripting. Some perl programming. I have seen how very helpful both of
these are from and administration point of view.

The general goings on of running a linux server for various tasks.

I just always enjoyed work more being in a tech support position rather than
anything else. And since I made the choice to switch from Windows to Linux,
I have just been amazed at what Linux can do and want to learn more of it.