[Cialug] Any VB folks around?

inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Mon Aug 16 14:53:48 CDT 2010

Quoting "L. V. Lammert" <lvl at omnitec.net>:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 j.bengtson at mchsi.com wrote:
>
>> Silly question, but...is it possible that the IP address you want to
>> use is already in use...possibly by the system you built the SUSE
>> machine where you built it?
>>
> Not silly, .. but no. It seems like there's something really strange going
> on with the VB network environment.
>
> 	Lee

I was having an odd issue with an ubuntu machine pulling the ip
address of a windows computer, through which the wired LAN was bridged
to the wireless LAN.  That is, the ubuntu machine was connected via
crossover cat6 to the windows machine, which has a wireless-n card
that connects to the router.  With network manager installed, the
ubuntu machine would end up being assigned the IP address of the
windows box, which caused all sorts of great issues.  I assigned a
static ip to the ubuntu machine in the interfaces config, but it would
still end up with the window box's ip address.  Only after removing
network manager did the ubuntu box correctly use its static ip.

So, it seemed that the bridge caused the ubuntu machine to appear to
use the same mac address that the windows machine uses, so it was
being assigned the windows box's ip address via DHCP, and I had to
disable network manager to cause the ubuntu machine to use the
/etc/network/interfaces file instead of the mgical place network
manager hides that information.

Check ifconfig on the guest OS to make sure it's actually using the
static ip you assigned it.  If not, beat network manager into
submission.

-- Matt