[Cialug] (no subject)

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Thu Aug 12 11:12:36 CDT 2010

I have a couple of 2.5" USB HD's, a WD 250, and a generic "Mad Dog"
enclosure with Travelstar drive in it. I've left both of them plugged in
for a day or more, and they're still accessable. This was on a Mandriva
2009 or 2010 distro, so it's going to be more "modern" than the Fedora 9
distro you're using.

Does the drive you're using have an optional 5v power input? Some drives
come with a 2nd USB to barrel connector for additional power if your PC
doesn't supply enough power. My Mad Dog drive has this type of connector.
It works with just the USB connector on some PC's, but on others I have to
use the 2nd power input. It also has a Firewire port, it works all the
time.

You could also try plugging it in through a powered USB hub, this may take
care of any power issues.

-dc