[Cialug] Weird USB drive issue

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Aug 12 11:08:14 CDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>
> > In your dmesg output, is there a corresponding message where the old
> drive
> > disappears? (preceding what you pasted in?)
> >
> Indeed! There is adisconnect:
>
> usb 1-2.4: USB disconnect, address 120
>
> But, it's hard to tell when it happened [of course]. The bottom line is, I
> believe, that Seagate drives [nor any USB attached drive IMHO] should
> not be used for 'permanently' attached storage.

I have used USB drives that stayed connected for as long as I was willing to
let my computer remain in one place.

As a matter of fact, my son's entire school program one year was on an
external USB hard drive. He used it every day of the week, all day long
(well, however long a kid is in school) without problem at all.

I think there's something fishy going on with your particular USB drive.

I'm no expert, but I'd start with the cable.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Never stop learning" –Robert Nuzum (My dad)