[Cialug] SSH being difficult

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Aug 9 15:10:57 CDT 2010

On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:05 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

> I have an ssh server that always takes a bit over 30 seconds to connect
> to. I've made sure that Avahi (mDNS) is not running. I've tried adding
> "UseDNS no" to sshd_config (something that helped on other servers with
> long login times). But it still always takes 30 seconds. Any other
> ideas?

I've also seen kerberos make logins slow -- for example, if you have a ticket but it's expired or not valid for the server in question -- but that's typically not enabled by default.

It would be useful to see a verbose connection log, with a notation of where the delay occurs. Just add "-vvv" to your normal connection options and it should show you exactly what you're waiting for.

	Zach