[Cialug] Ames LUG Flyer

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Aug 9 08:52:21 CDT 2010

He identifies the group as a "bunch of geeks" which should help you pinpoint
his target audience. ;-)

I think the flyer does a good job of speaking to the identified audience.
Here is some more constructive criticism:

 * It's color. Good, but more expensive to print. black only = cheap, grey =
almost as cheap, 1 px of color = big diff in price, much color slightly more
expensive

 * It's full bleed, meaning it goes directly to the page edge. That means
you're not planning on printing it on standard laser printers and if you are
you've got a paper cutter to trip the edges

If you're going to print 10 of these and put them in the MU then the above
are no big deal. If you're goign to print 50 or more you might want to
consider making them gray-scale and make them look nice with a little bit of
white border around the edges.

Lastly, I think even your target audience is not going to understand what is
meant by LUG. I'd try to squeze a paragraph in before "the AmesLUG
exists..." paragraph that says:

Did you know Ames has a Linux User Group (LUG)?

Finally, if your target audience is the ISU crowd then create a facebook
page and advertise it prominently on the flyer. Maybe include a barcode with
a link to it. About everyone there is going to be familiar with Facebook and
it will make your future communication much easier if you can leverage
social networking to spread the word.

Sometime ask me what I've learned about using social media to boost
attendance to user groups. I've done some experiments and found things that
work well.

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Josh More <MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

> Who is your audience?  How will you be getting these flyers out?
>
> I've noticed that many nonprofit groups (including, alas, this one) tend to
> operate with an assumption that creating a flyer magically makes attendance
> come from nowhere.  While this is somewhat successful on campuses, if you're
> wanting to draw outside of the Iowa State crowd, you might want a more
> specific plan.
>
> One thing to consider if you want to attract a more mainstream audience is
> that the BSD logo is likely to be misinterpreted.  Also "open source" is
> still something of a niche term.  It might be a good idea to get into the
> details of the benefits of open source and free software instead of assuming
> that the audience will understand your intent.
>
> If you want to just focus on the IA State crowd, this is probably fine.
>
> -Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
> morej at alliancetechnologies.net
> 515-245-7701

Matthew Nuzum

"Never stop learning" –Robert Nuzum (My dad)