[Cialug] HacKidCon

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Apr 28 09:02:10 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Josh More
<MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> So there is a movement in the security community to do something like this: http://www.hackid.org/
>
> We've talked about trying to get a kid-friendly Linux day going sometime... well, these guys are building a model, albeit in the security space.
>
> Is there general interest in the group to do something like this?  Possibly for SFD?
>
> Personally, I think it's a neat idea, but some of you who actually have kids might want to weigh in here.  ;)

I have kids and I have tried this kind of mentoring. To keep their
interest it pretty much has to involve games in some ways. The good
news is, there are tons of games for Linux.

Here are some ideas:

 1. computer game timeline demonstrating games representative of various eras
 2. "finish the game" where you show them an incomplete game and they
try to fix it
 3. "hack the game" find a game with crude graphics and sounds and
replace them with home-made ones.

(not a game)
 4. "Interact with the real world" use a computer to move a robotic
arm, play midi music via a keyboard, turn off lights, send a text
message/instant message, etc.
 5. "Programming" with turtle/logo or basic.

There are very clear developmental stages. I think if you get
elementary age kids you'll have to cater the event towards
entertaining them or guiding them so events 1, 4 and 5 would probably
work. Around middle school you can give them some basic instructions,
even printed, and some of them will do some inventive and pretty cool
stuff.

Keep in mind that average kids are not reading very confidently until
around 3rd grade (age 9). A 2nd grade is not going to be at all
interested in a text adventure. :-)

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they
sought." –Matsuo Bashō