[Cialug] Ubuntu - unable to update

Bjones intoanother at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:39:52 CDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-bounces at cialug.org [mailto:cialug-bounces at cialug.org] On Behalf
Of Matthew Nuzum
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:46 AM
To: Central Iowa Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Ubuntu - unable to update

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:50 PM,  <bryon.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> keep getting "not all changes and update succeeded...."
>
> and details...
>
> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
> dpkg: 'ldconfig' not found on PATH
> dpkg: 'start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 'update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 3 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
/sbin.

Hi, that sounds like a very odd and scary set of error messages. If you're
still having this problem and still trying to work through it can you let us
know more about your computer? I.e. what version of Ubuntu are you running,
do you know when this error started and do you know what changes you made
prior to that? You may want to look in /var/log/apt/history.log

Try typing ldconfig --help and see if you get a helpful message or if you
get an error saying the command wasn't found.

--
Matthew Nuzum

Running Ubuntu 9.10
As far as what I did before hand....too much it's all a blur. I was trying
to get nagios running w/ mrtg.....etc.

ldconfig --help

root at nagios-desktop:~#ldconfig --help
command 'ldconfig' is available in '/sbin/ldconfig'
the command could not be located because '/sbin' is not included in the PATH
environment variable.
this is most likely caused by the lack of administrative priviledges
associated with your user account.
ldconfig: command not found
root at nagios-desktop:~#