[Cialug] Ubuntu - unable to update

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Apr 20 08:46:06 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:50 PM,  <bryon.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> keep getting "not all changes and update succeeded...."
>
> and details...
>
> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
> dpkg: 'ldconfig' not found on PATH
> dpkg: 'start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 'update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 3 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.

Hi, that sounds like a very odd and scary set of error messages. If
you're still having this problem and still trying to work through it
can you let us know more about your computer? I.e. what version of
Ubuntu are you running, do you know when this error started and do you
know what changes you made prior to that? You may want to look in
/var/log/apt/history.log

Try typing ldconfig --help and see if you get a helpful message or if
you get an error saying the command wasn't found.

--
Matthew Nuzum