[Cialug] Wireless APs supporting roaming?

Tom Pohl tom at tcpconsulting.com
Thu Apr 15 10:07:52 CDT 2010

The other portion of wireless roaming is that the client card really needs to support it too (unless things have changed over the years).

Back in the day, proxim access points with proxim client cards would do a little dance and hand off between each other nicely.

Realistically, computers naturally disconnect and reconnect to access points with the strongest signal and I don't find huge value in that feature unless you're trying to do client load balancing or real-time audio/video streaming while moving around between access points.

I've been buying Engenius ECB9500 and they have been working great (POE capable for under $90)

-Tom