[Cialug] Video Card

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:47:26 CDT 2009

I would second the recommendation for the 9800GT.  I got one about 4 months
back for about $80 (it was a special).  If you watch slickdeals.net and
subscribe to newegg email, deals come around pretty quickly.

Also, I'd go for faster memory rather than more, I'm guessing the 1gb model
you're looking at is GDDR2.  Gigabyte has a 9500GT with 512MB GDDR3 memory
for $60 plus a $30 mail in rebate at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125260

The 9800GTs are a bit more expensive at present, but it depends on if you
have time to watch for a deal or not.  If not Newegg presently has a
recertified (refurb) 9800GT for $80:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150424

Some people are absolutely against refurbs.  Personally I buy almost
everything refurb and seem to lave less trouble than most do with new
products.  Additionally, with a video card, if something is going to happen
it's probably going to happen right away, and newegg has about the best
return/replacement policy of any online retailer.  Just make sure to install
it, and do a burn in run right away when you get it.

-B