[Cialug] Video Card

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Tue Sep 15 15:12:39 CDT 2009

If you can swing it, I would spend a little more for the 9800 GT, a very
quick search shows they start about $95. It's fast enough to handle just
about any of the current generation of games. When Id's new game, Rage,
comes out (someday), it may not be quite enough.

The 9500 GT is quite a bit slower than the 9800 GT... depending on what
games you want to play it may not be enough for you. If you just want to
play Quake 3 generation games, you'd be OK with the 9500.

It should work fine in Linux (with the proprietary driver) and Windows.

One of the VM people can tell you more on this, but I don't think that
graphics hardware acceleration is fully "there" yet for VM's, but it is
allegedly coming.

For now, you should probably plan on doing your gaming / 3D stuff on
your host / native OS, or look into good old dual booting instead.

If you have a choice in brands, I'd go with XFX. Good quality stuff, and
I've had a few of their cards, they have a very nice replacement policy
if your card goes bad. EVGA is kind of the "reference card"
manufacturer, they don't do much beyond what nVidia specs, where
companies like XFX will tweak things to run better, faster, cooler, etc.

-dc