[Cialug] Malware, Spellcheck and iPods (Was Re: LUG meeting tomorrow)

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Tue Sep 15 13:08:21 CDT 2009

Scroll down... that was my original point: "It works great with Linux
out of the box."

I have a 2gb iPod Shuffle. I did get it working with Linux, I think it
was gtkpod. I still use it occasionally, but I like the Clip much
better. I'd sell it if anyone really wants it. :)

My previous MP3 player was a Rio Carbon, with the 5gb CF disc (yes, a
spinning hard drive). It still works, but I thought the new Clip + was
pretty nice, so I got it last week. Both the Carbon and the Clip "just
work" in either Windows or Linux as MTP devices. You can use a media
library program to manage them, but I'd much rather just copy files to
them. My MP3 folders are organized by  /artist/album/songs (the way Grip
makes them by default). The only big downside I've found with the Clip
is it doesn't like the bare version of .M3U files that Grip creates...
it wants the meta information, like what gets created in WinAMP. It also
doesn't play songs in order if you tell it to "play all" of an album -
Grip names all of the songs like 01_first_song.mp3,
02_second_song.mp3... so I'll need to re-create all of my playlists.

-dc