[Cialug] Malware, Spellcheck and iPods (Was Re: LUG meeting tomorrow)

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:20:38 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> It appears to be easier to make an ipod work with other software than
> to make another mp3 player work with itunes.

I have an iPod Video (30GB, 5th generation), but I run rockbox as an
alternative firmware.  This has the advantages of playing more formats (ogg,
flac) and presenting as a simple USB mass storage device rather than using
the proprietary iPod DB format.  Also, rockbox is open source, so I can (and
do) modify it in minor ways to better suit my needs.  Rockbox recently added
support for running Lua scripts on the device, which is something I mean to
play with.  http://rockbox.org

Although I have never needed it, rockbox is typically installed in a dual
boot configuration, such that you can run the original firmware by holding
a button (menu?) when the bootloader runs.

I dislike iTunes, instead preferring Amarok 1.4 (the 2.x series that ships
with KDE4 is IMHO not ready for prime time.)   For *buntu people, you can
get a Jaunty package of amarok1.4 from this guy's PPA (
https://edge.launchpad.net/~bogdanb/+archive/amarok14/).

- Nathan