[Cialug] Adding a drive to expand /home directory

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Oct 12 20:26:49 CDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 7:56 PM, Tom Sellers wrote:

> I mounted the drive as a subdirectory beneath /home called /home/
> extended.
> The problem is that although I can see the extended directory by
> using the ls command when I look at the /home directory from the
> file share I do not see the additional capacity of the drive.  The
> new drive should add twice as much space as was available with the
> original directory on the first drive.

If you're talking about the free space displayed on a client system
that has mounted /home via SMB/CIFS it probably does work, it just
doesn't report free space the way you think it should. The "free
space" indication will always show the amount of space available on
the drive at the root level of the network volume, even if there are
other drives mounted at a lower level. From the point of view a client
machine the network mount is a single volume and all folders in it
have the same mount of free space -- it has no way to tell they are on
different drives at the server end.

It shouldn't hurt anything though, other than your display of free
space. You should still be able to copy things in and out of the home/
extended folder even if they are larger than what the volume reports
for free space.

If /home is already on a separate partition you could use LVM to join
the two disks into a single logical unit on the server side and avoid
the whole issue.

	Zach