[Cialug] Adding a drive to expand /home directory

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Oct 12 20:26:47 CDT 2009

The right way to do this is to use an abstraction layer like LVM.
However, if your existing /home partition is not already on LVM, this
could be complex.  If you're lucky and it is, all you need to do is add
the new drive, format it for LVM, add it to the volume group and issue
an expand command for the /home partition.

The way you are trying to do it will not expand /home.  What you're
doing is making a new drive.  In Windows, it would be like adding a new
D: drive, and linking it so that you have something like C:\Documents
and Settings\D:.  This, if you check the size of C:, it stays the same
it just has a link to the new drive.

The same thing happens when you do /home/extended.  /home stays the same
size.  /home/extended is where the new space is.

This is a bit complex to try to get into via email, but please feel free
to come to the next LUG meeting and we can try to explain it better.  If
you want to bring your machine itself, just drop me a note ahead of time
and I'll try to get a keyboard and monitor set up for you to use.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I mounted the drive as a subdirectory beneath /home called
/home/extended.
> The problem is that although I can see the extended directory by using
the
> ls command when I look at the /home directory from the file share I do
not
> see the additional capacity of the drive.  The new drive should add
twice as
> much space as was available with the original directory on the first
drive.

What do you mean "when I look at the /home directory from the file
share"?  What program are you using to do that?

It's possible that what you're using is looking not at /home, but at
/home/tom, or whatever your own home is.  You could try mounting the
extra drive under your /home/tom (or whatever it is).  The trick there
is that you have to mount /home first and *then* mount the extra
drive.

Otherwise, make sure you're measuring the size of /home, and not
/home/tom.

--
Todd