[Cialug] Fwd: WiFi at conferences

Jeff Davis me at digitaljeff.com
Sat Oct 10 17:33:50 CDT 2009

Funny, I just had this discussion with someone at work.

The person I was talking to has to go out and do basic PC training
and help desk type of stuff as an ancillary task when groups of employees
gather for meetings.  Unfortunately since this is not the primary reason,
the site is chosen by a non-tech person who just wants a room that fits
everyone with the least driving time.
Invariably there are always problems with internet access.   We were
talking
about some alternative solutions besides them taking 4-5 1 terabyte USB
drives
and planning on internet access not being reliable.
There are just too many times where the meeting ends up at the
Super J hotel somewhere in western Nebraska where "yeah we have wifi"
means a single DSL line and a single linksys router at each end of the
hotel.

-Jeff