[Cialug] [OT] AV test

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Oct 6 10:02:12 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Lathrop Preston <lathrop at prestonfam.org> wrote:

> I have read the RFCs. Several times.
>
> I do not recall saying what you are "quoting" me as saying.
>
> What I mean is that sending raw data as the body of the message will
> probably not come out the other end as you think it will.

That depends on how broken your email client is.  If, for example, I
had just zipped up a word document that contained my resume I would
expect that a reasonable email client would present me with the
opportunity to download the zip file, just like a "normal" (Gmail and
Thunderbird do) .  Virus scanners should know how to check messages
like I sent for viruses as well.  Try it - I did...

> Also please note, my reply was based on your <yadda yadda yadda>
> not your longer version. which looks to me like you are going a bit
> more than just sending as the body.

Yes, I replaced the actual base64 data that included the eicar virus
with <yadda yadda yadda> in my email to the list.  How can I poke fun
at/instruct everyone if my message gets intercepted by virus scanners?
 The longer version is just a multipart message, the first part is a
short text message, the second part is the virus file.

--
Jeff Ollie