[Cialug] Replacing a Palm

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Wed Nov 25 10:26:44 CST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 5:40 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Solution: iPhone - Fairly nice, but the touch keypad is not really
> usable,
> calendar/contact capability lacks migrationpath, .. also not open
> source.

I've had a iPhone for about 1.5 yrs now.

I haven't found the on-screen kb to be a real problem, but I don't
really like typing on phones in the first place.

If I recall from my ancient days using Palm products, the calendar is
stored as a vCal which is very similar and quite exportable to iCal
format. You should be able to get the calendar data out easily enough,
unless they've really messed things up in the last few years.
I also recall being able to export to various formats for contact data
including LDIF which is what you'd need to import to an LDAP server
(or say Address Book on OSX).

I have a pretty decent ssh client for it, as well as a VNC a couple
general network diag tools, loads of silly time waster and social
media stuff.

--
Bryan "ka-klick" Baker
Singer/Songwriter