[Cialug] difference between syslog and messages?

Tom Pohl tom at tcpconsulting.com
Thu Nov 19 10:00:29 CST 2009

It is all dependent upon your syslog.conf (usually in /etc)

On RH systems, /var/log/messages get these types of messages:
*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none		/var/log/messages

and /var/log/syslog isn't used at all, but on osx they don't use /var/log/messsages BUT /var/log/syslog gets these types of messages:
*.notice;authpriv,remoteauth,ftp,install,internal.none  /var/log/system.log

When it is all said and done, it's up to the admin to determine what type and where messages go!  You can even log your syslog messages to another host.

-Tom