[Cialug] difference between syslog and messages?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Nov 19 09:21:29 CST 2009

I believe that this varies by distro.  OpenSUSE 11.1 doesn't use
/var/log/syslog at all.

If you read the syslog config file, it should clarify which messages go
where.  (Yes, I know it's not too readable, but it's the place to
start.)

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> 11/19/09 9:16 AM >>>
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Nathan C. Smith
<nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> What are the differences between /var/log/syslog and
/var/log/messages?  Is the messages log primarily for local system
events or does it mean I have too many logging tools running?

I've wondered this too and I think it might be different from one
distro to the next. On Ubuntu it appears that some things that go to
syslog also go to messages where as when I was a RH person I thought
some things went to messages and other, different, things went to
syslog (but maybe I had a wrong understanding).

--
Matthew Nuzum