[Cialug] New Linux User orientation?

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Tue Nov 17 19:59:58 CST 2009

Matt Breitbach wrote:
> Generally, I need to make some modifications to CentOS systems and manage
> them once we have installed Cpanel on them.
>
> One of my main goals is to get all of the user files on to our iSCSI system
> since storage is tight on our blade.  The folders that will need to be moved
> are /home /var and /usr.  From what I've seen moving just the /home folder,
> I'm probably going to run into some circular dependencies by moving /var and
> /usr - IE - lots of drivers appear to be in /var, but if I mount an iscsi
> device and bind /var to a mount point of /iscsi/var, it won't be available
> until networking is initialized and iSCSI services are started, many of
> which probably reside on /var.
>
> Past the initial installation and configuration, there are probably going to
> be a lot of day-to-day headaches that I'll need to know where things are
> typically stored at, easy search methods, etc.
>
> I've done a lot of this before, but I haven't done it enough to have it
> committed to long-term memory.  IE - I know how to use grep, but I don't
> remember all of the switches and what they do.  I don't have any clue what
> the shortcuts for VI are, and as such will be installing a different text
> editor, as I have no desire to learn VI.  I can configure networking, and
> can muddle my way through things, but I'd love to have a desk reference that
> gives me something within arms reach that has lots of good information.

This context helps a lot. :)

I can suggest two good references - and I'm certain that others here can
  do better...

'man' is the quickest way I know of to look up answers to questions for
standard utilities like grep and vi. It's incredibly faster than even
just reaching for a paper reference.

The second reference is, of course, this list - to backup the online
capability of man. I don't have any sysadmin background (and do
relatively little sysadmin work) but the collective expertise here, in
combination with short response times, has "knocked my socks off" fairly
frequently.

(I feel much the same about vi - and, because most of my activity
involves writing code, have settled on nedit as my normal text editor -
but everyone has their favorite editor.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar