[Cialug] New Linux User orientation?

Matt Breitbach matthewb at flash.shanje.com
Tue Nov 17 19:28:09 CST 2009

Generally, I need to make some modifications to CentOS systems and manage
them once we have installed Cpanel on them.

One of my main goals is to get all of the user files on to our iSCSI system
since storage is tight on our blade.  The folders that will need to be moved
are /home /var and /usr.  From what I've seen moving just the /home folder,
I'm probably going to run into some circular dependencies by moving /var and
/usr - IE - lots of drivers appear to be in /var, but if I mount an iscsi
device and bind /var to a mount point of /iscsi/var, it won't be available
until networking is initialized and iSCSI services are started, many of
which probably reside on /var.

Past the initial installation and configuration, there are probably going to
be a lot of day-to-day headaches that I'll need to know where things are
typically stored at, easy search methods, etc.

I've done a lot of this before, but I haven't done it enough to have it
committed to long-term memory.  IE - I know how to use grep, but I don't
remember all of the switches and what they do.  I don't have any clue what
the shortcuts for VI are, and as such will be installing a different text
editor, as I have no desire to learn VI.  I can configure networking, and
can muddle my way through things, but I'd love to have a desk reference that
gives me something within arms reach that has lots of good information.