[Cialug] Disk Performance and Measurement

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:37:10 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> I would really enjoy learning more about this storage solution you're using.
> Most of what I know about AoE I've learned on this list. Care to quickly
> document what you're doing here? To be honest, I didn't realize you could
> use two ethernet cards to double your bandwidth for one application.

I can't speak about AoE, but bonding ethernets is a wonderful thing
for Fun and Proffit. Actual gains depend on the exact method, but if
you're connecting to a "real" switch that can talk LACP (Link
Aggregation Control Protocol) you can usually balance per-packet (some
older, host only side options balance by src MAC + target MAC, IP,
etc). We've found that 6 or 8 x 1gbe make a very nice
price/performance option vs 1x10gbe.