[Cialug] Proxmox .. Was: Xen vs. VMWare vs?

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Wed May 27 12:40:38 CDT 2009

Todd Walton wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
>> I guess I was wondering if anyone cared to tell why they preferred one
>> system vs another. KVM for me simply because it's the default for
>> Ubuntu. That's not necessarily the best reason though. Remote
>> management is something I should consider,
>
> I'm running KVM on Fedora 10.  I'm having some teething problems, but
> the plan right now is to stick with it.
>
> I chose KVM essentially as a bet that KVM has a strong future on
> Linux.  It's supported by Red Hat, which has a pretty good track
> record on supporting apps, and it integrates well with the operating
> system.  It loads via a kernel module, for example, instead of Xen's
> method of using special kernel sources.  It uses qemu in some way that
> I don't understand.

You might want to try Proxmox VE.  It's Debian-based (which is why I'm partial
to it), and supports a bigger breadth of hardware "naturally."  It's the same
"install from CD, point your web browser to it to manage" paradigm as ESXi.

I haven't implemented the vmotion equivalent under proxmox yet, but apparently
it's well supported.

http://www.proxmox.com/

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 ITT, Dept. of Computer Science                /\\