[Cialug] Audio recording on Ubuntu from cassette player or any other sound source?

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Tue May 26 10:55:28 CDT 2009

Oh, one note on this: devices like tape decks, or CD players will output
a "normal" output level, you can just use a RCA to 1/8" headphone jack
adapter, and plug it right in to your PC's mic jack. If you're going to
record from a turntable, you will probably need a pre-amp - you can
either use an old stereo amp with Phono input (you can probably find one
at a garage sale or thrift store, ebay, craigslist etc. cheap, since
everyone is upgrading to surround sound) to pass the signal through, or
I have a phono preamp I got from Radio Shack years ago that works for
this. Or you can get one of the fancy new turntables with the USB jack
on them... but that would be cheating.

-dc