[Cialug] Audio recording on Ubuntu from cassette player or any other sound source?

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon May 25 18:41:34 CDT 2009

I have used gramofile a little for tranferring vinyl
records to MP3.

http://www.opensourcepartners.nl/~costar/gramofile/

It's a bit clunky to use (console based), and you have to do some trial
and error before getting it to work very well. The thing I've had the most
trouble with is getting the mixer settings just right... could be
partially because I was experimenting with a machine with an utterly
craptastic Via audio chipset. I have another with the nVidia soundstorm
chip, which I plan on trying next time I have the motivation to do so.

Also... you may end up having to use audacity to do some cleanup - and on
some albums I've tried, there's no pause between some of the songs (Led
Zeppelin Coda, for example), so the automatic track detection doesn't
work.

-dc