[Cialug] External Hard Drive

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon May 11 11:03:07 CDT 2009

I have a WD Passport 250 gb drive I got about 1 1/2 years ago. I've kept
it formatted as-is (FAT32-ish), works fine in Linux. I just removed the
autorun.bat so it doesn't try to get jiggy with installing it's software
when I plug it into a Windows machine. The main drawback with the FAT32
formatting is you can't copy files larger than 2gb to it. This drive
seems to get enough power with every USB connector I've tried... which
is a good thing since it doesn't have any other power options - the only
port on it is the single mini USB port.

I've also cracked it open before to borrow the USB to SATA controller
when I upgraded the HD in my laptop. It wasn't terribly hard, I almost
tore my fingernails off, until I found that a thin guitar pick works
pretty well for popping the little latches.

I have a cheap USB / PATA 2.5" enclosure I got at CompUSA, called a "Mad
Dog" and put one of my old laptop drives in it, have it formatted ext2
and use it when I need to copy larger files. This one also has a
seperate power connector with a USB cable to get around the power issue
Matt mentioned, I've only had to use that on a couple of older machines.
It also has a 5-pin Firewire port, which is what I use when I'm plugging
it into my older Shuttle that doesn't have enough USB power.

-dc