[Cialug] Open source alternative to Crystal Reports?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue May 5 10:25:05 CDT 2009

I've heard good things about JasperSoft.  http://www.jaspersoft.com/

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> 05/05/09 10:22 AM >>>
The company I work for is looking for an external reporting engine.
Initially we looked at Crystal Reports, but unfortunately it looks like
it is Windows only.  One key point is it would have to allow us to
redistribute the report generator.  Our staff and our customers will be
creating reports.  For the reports that we create and send to our
customers, they will need a way to actually run the report.  That would
probably mean a redistributable executable that reads the report format
file(s), reads the database, and generates the desired report.  Are
there any open source alternatives to Crystal?

--
Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/