[Cialug] [OT] Digital TV

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun May 3 13:50:12 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Jim Asbille <jim.asbille at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got the same letter from Mediacom.  We are losing CNN as well.  I am
> thinking of going to antennae but don't want to lose my Internet access for
> $40ish a month.  Are there any reasonable broadband access alternatives that
> won't cost much more than this?

I switched to Dish for TV and Qwest for DSL. My DSL is $35/mo or so
1.5Mbps down, 768K up. Not good for watching streaming hidef video but
otherwise works great. I spend less now than with mediacom's basic
package + internet and as a bonus have a DVR. Download bandwidth is
down (from 7Mbps) but upload bandwidth is up. Unless I'm downloading
an iso I usually don't notice the download difference but I often
appreciate the upload speed. The DVR is a blessing and a curse. I used
to never watch TV. At least I can skip the commercials.

--
Matthew Nuzum