[Cialug] [OT] Digital TV

Jim Asbille jim.asbille at gmail.com
Sun May 3 12:45:22 CDT 2009

I got the same letter from Mediacom.  We are losing CNN as well.  I am
thinking of going to antennae but don't want to lose my Internet access for
$40ish a month.  Are there any reasonable broadband access alternatives that
won't cost much more than this?

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Daniel A Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu>wrote:

> Assuming the digital transition isn't pushed off yet again, broadcast
> stations will switch to digital soon. I have 2 TVs, one modern enough to
> have a built-in digital tuner, the other not. For the older TV i already
> have an ATSC (digital broadcast) tuner, but not a QAM (digital cable) tuner.
>
> Currently i use Mediacom's "broadcast basic" cable package, which includes
> the broadcast channels plus Discovery Channel. Today i received a letter
> saying that Mediacom is moving several of their channels to digital soon.
> This means i'll have to find a QAM tuner for the older TV. Any suggestions
> on how to find a good QAM tuner box?
>
> One other problem is that Mediacom's letter mentioned that Discovery
> Channel was being dropped from the broadcast basic package. It is the only
> channel i really watch, but i don't think it is worth the price of upgrading
> the cable package to keep it. So i'm thinking of switching to broadcast. I
> live in an apartment, so indoor antennas would be easiest. Any suggestions
> on how to choose an antenna? Would any old rabbit ears be OK as they were
> for the analog signals?

Jim Asbille, MSM
registered Linux user number 388067

The difference between Microsoft and ‘Jurassic Park’:
In one, a mad businessman makes a lot of money with beasts that should be
extinct.
The other is a film.