[Cialug] [OT] Digital TV

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Sun May 3 01:35:11 CDT 2009

When I bought the tuner card for my pc (at best buy... epic fail, since
it's not at all supported by mythtv), I also spent a ton of money on an
indoor antenna that is specifically for digital broadcast.  I think it
cost me $89.99...  That hurt a lot, but on the basement floor of the
house in urbandale I have no problem picking up every broadcast station
in the area.  Thing looks like a yagi-style antenna (small fins at the
front with larger fins as you go towards the back) with the standard
extendable rabbit ears on each side (made by TERK).  It came with a
little inline signal booster that the antenna is basically completely
useless without.

Since then I have gotten a nice 42" plasma tv (which functions almost
exclusively as a giant computer monitor), and the antenna works
perfectly fine with it, also, so I guess minor differences in the tuners
between the TV and the tuner card aren't enough to render the signal
useless in either case.