[Cialug] [OT] Digital TV

Mark Hesseltine markhesseltine at gmail.com
Sun May 3 00:27:44 CDT 2009

I'd done some reading on DIY antenna setups, and honest to $DEITY, I
got a $5 300 to 75 ohm adapter from Radio Shack, bent a piece of wire
coat hanger and attached each end to the screw terminals on the
adapter and get better reception than a couple of commercially
purchased (albeit it not DTV-specific) antennae.

I'm on the ground floor of an apartment and the store-bought units got
me signal levels in the mid 50's on my RCA box. The coat hanger runs
closer to the mid 70's, although I'm not getting 34.1 right now and
figure I might have to make a couple tweaks to the hanger (longer or
shorter to cover the band I'm not catching now). Still, for a $5
"Let's see what happens" experiment, I've been pretty pleased.

--
Mark Hesseltine
mailto:markhesseltine at gmail.com