[Cialug] [OT] Digital TV

Daniel A Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Sun May 3 00:10:20 CDT 2009

Assuming the digital transition isn't pushed off yet again, broadcast stations will switch to digital soon. I have 2 TVs, one modern enough to have a built-in digital tuner, the other not. For the older TV i already have an ATSC (digital broadcast) tuner, but not a QAM (digital cable) tuner.

Currently i use Mediacom's "broadcast basic" cable package, which includes the broadcast channels plus Discovery Channel. Today i received a letter saying that Mediacom is moving several of their channels to digital soon. This means i'll have to find a QAM tuner for the older TV. Any suggestions on how to find a good QAM tuner box?

One other problem is that Mediacom's letter mentioned that Discovery Channel was being dropped from the broadcast basic package. It is the only channel i really watch, but i don't think it is worth the price of upgrading the cable package to keep it. So i'm thinking of switching to broadcast. I live in an apartment, so indoor antennas would be easiest. Any suggestions on how to choose an antenna? Would any old rabbit ears be OK as they were for the analog signals?