[Cialug] Linux on PS2/3

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Fri May 1 08:18:34 CDT 2009

I installed yellow dog on my ps3 and it worked pretty good. Support for the
wireless controllers pretty much out of the box, and it ran my SNES emulater
pretty well. I was not able to get sound working, but granted, I spent all
of 20 minutes on it.

It was simple, other than having to boot back and forth, but it was more
effort than it was worth, once I got DLNA running from inside the sony OS.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:36 AM, David Champion <dave at dchamp.net> wrote:

> Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Randle Boyd <lowmaine at mchsi.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone running Linx on a Play Station 2 or 3?  If so, how is the
> >> performance?
> >>

> > Some of my co-workers have run Linux on the PS3. They say the cell
> > processor is not optimized for desktop use and are disappointed with
> > the performance.
> >

> I ran it some when I first got my PS3, it wasn't too exciting. The
> biggest problems I had with it were the lack of memory (256mb usable)
> and the GPU is crippled by the hypervisor so you can't use 3D acceleration.
>
> If you gave it enough memory, and unlocked the GPU, it would run fine.
> There are Cell based workstations available that don't have those
> limitations.
>
> -dc

Jeff Chapin
President, CedarLug, retired
President, UNIPC, "I'll get around to it"
President, UNI Scuba Club
Senator, NISG, retired