[Cialug] Linux on PS2/3

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Fri May 1 00:36:04 CDT 2009

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Randle Boyd <lowmaine at mchsi.com> wrote:
>
>> Is anyone running Linx on a Play Station 2 or 3?  If so, how is the
>> performance?
>>

> Some of my co-workers have run Linux on the PS3. They say the cell
> processor is not optimized for desktop use and are disappointed with
> the performance.

I ran it some when I first got my PS3, it wasn't too exciting. The
biggest problems I had with it were the lack of memory (256mb usable)
and the GPU is crippled by the hypervisor so you can't use 3D acceleration.

If you gave it enough memory, and unlocked the GPU, it would run fine.
There are Cell based workstations available that don't have those
limitations.

-dc