[Cialug] Web Slowing Down

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 11:21:11 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:

> Most commonly on a desktop client i use POP rather than IMAP though. The
> way KMail stores messages (a separate maildir for each folder), if i
> ask it to make a copy of a message, it makes an actual copy (not even a
> hard link), so it would not be possible to perform an action on one
> copy and have it affect all copies as it does with a label paradigm
> where all "copies" are actually just 1. I don't know how this would
> differ if i used IMAP though.

I use getmail to archive my gmail locally so I have a backup.  I fetch
all "folders" and store them in a single maildir so I don't have any
duplicates, but that comes at the cost of losing my labels.  Would be
nice if the gmail->IMAP interface put the labels in a X-header or
something in the message.  Could probably write something else that
maintains a list of mails per label.  I care much more about having
the content of the emails then the meta data so I'm perfectly happy to
have label-less emails than no emails at all.

I guess, alternatively, I could write a getmail script per label and
store them as separate maildirs

Colin