[Cialug] Web Slowing Down

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed Mar 11 11:10:29 CDT 2009

On 2009-03-11 at 10:51:41, Zachary Kotlarek wrote:
>But I'm not really excited about *any* email client, web-based or
>otherwise. I was just trying to figure out why labels were better than
>folders; I think the answer is "some clients make it easier to use
>labels than make copies" -- is there more to it than that?

I think that's it; it is just a difference in what the client software
makes easy to do.

For some of the usage scenarios you described, i use filters in Gmail to
cut down on the manual work. For instance, i have filters set up for a
few of my friends so that whenever i receive something from them the
message is automatically tagged with their label. The message of course
also stays in the inbox until i've archived it. By writing a few
carefully crafted filters i've been able to almost completely eliminate
having to actually manage my e-mail when i'm in Gmail. The filters just
take care of it most of the time. I realize something similar would be
possible with a desktop client. But if i write a filter to copy a
message to another folder while still leaving it in the inbox, and then
i read the inbox copy, will the other folder copy also be marked as
read?

I've so far never used a desktop client in the same way as Gmail. It
would be very nice to be able to do so though, and know that the
messages are merely being tagged rather than copied (with the extra
disk usage that implies).

Most commonly on a desktop client i use POP rather than IMAP though. The
way KMail stores messages (a separate maildir for each folder), if i
ask it to make a copy of a message, it makes an actual copy (not even a
hard link), so it would not be possible to perform an action on one
copy and have it affect all copies as it does with a label paradigm
where all "copies" are actually just 1. I don't know how this would
differ if i used IMAP though.