[Cialug] Crashing with errors in mcelog

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:45:59 CST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> The thing about memtest86, though, is that in my experience it just flat
> out doesn't work. I've let it run for days on machines that are known
> to have memory problems and it never finds them. And i've done this
> more than once. Never have i had it report errors, even on machines
> with known-bad RAM. I'll probably give it a shot soon though anyway.
> This weekend i can afford for the machine to be down for awhile.

That's odd.  I've had the opposite experience with memtest86.  It has
found bad RAM for me many times.  I have had at least one case where
it reported false errors, but upgrading to the next newer version
fixed that issue.

Still, it is worth trying even solely for the fact that it provides
some load on the memory system to see if it crashes.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night