[Cialug] Crashing with errors in mcelog

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue Mar 3 08:36:54 CST 2009

On 2009-03-02 at 22:00:35, kristau wrote:
>Have you tried running memtest86?  The latest System Rescue CD,
>Knoppix, Ubuntu or most other live CDs have it as a boot option.
>That's what I'd try next if I found myself in your situation.

I've not tried any testing applications yet. I was actually thinking
this morning (after the machine crashed twice again--the crashes always
come in pairs, which seems odd) about either seeing if SuperMicro has a
diagnostic for the motherboard, or running a memory test. I'll explore
both of those options.

The thing about memtest86, though, is that in my experience it just flat
out doesn't work. I've let it run for days on machines that are known
to have memory problems and it never finds them. And i've done this
more than once. Never have i had it report errors, even on machines
with known-bad RAM. I'll probably give it a shot soon though anyway.
This weekend i can afford for the machine to be down for awhile.

I'm also thinking of subscribing to debian-users and asking there. Not
many mentions of mcelog in their archives, but that list has so many
subscribers that someone's bound to have had the same problem.