[Cialug] OT: New Macintosh Models

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Jun 25 16:17:16 CDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 3:45 PM, Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> The new Macs are supposed to have sealed batteries.  Does anyone
> know if they have a reset button for those instances where you need
> to unplug and remove the battery to force some kind of reset?

The main power button has a hardware watchdog -- if you hold it down
long enough the machine will power off, no matter what state the
software/CPU is in. It's not as fail-safe as pulling the battery, but
it's only marginally more complicated than a dedicated-function reset
button, and therefore similarly reliable; it will work as long as the
PMU hardware and button itself are functional.

The iPhone has a similar reset mechanism to the iPod, where you hold
down a unique key combination for a while to reset, again without
relying on the OS or CPU.

--

That being said, you can get the battery out by removing a handful of
phillips screws for the case bottom and a pair of tri-wings for the

	Zach