[Cialug] Linux equivalent to OS X hdiutil

David W. Body davidbody at bigcreek.com
Sat Jun 20 08:03:42 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2009, at 1:50 PM, David W. Body wrote:
>
>  Maybe "sparse, compressed, read-write" isn't the correct description
>> because I only want to write it once, but hdiutil will create a sparse,
>> compressed disk image from a directory as follows:
>>
>>  hdiutil create -srcfolder my_directory -format UDZO my-diskimage.dmg
>>

> That's just a gzip-compressed read-only disk image. UDZO is "sparse" in
> that the unallocated blocks aren't included in the image, but it can't grow
> as you add data because you can't add data.
>
> hdiutil can create what it calls "sparse" images -- files (or bundles) that
> grow as you allocate blocks -- with the UDSP and UDSB formats. But in those
> formats the allocated blocks aren't compressed, the images simply excludes
> the unallocated blocks so that you don't need to consume the entire image
> size until it's actually used.
>
> Are you trying to create a read-only image with compressed data or create a
> read-write image that excludes unallocated blocks? Or is there some third
> option I'm missing?
>
>        Zach

Zach,

Thanks for the clarification.  I realize now that I didn't really ask the
question I intended to.

I want to be able to create backups of directories in a reasonably efficient
compressed format.  I don't need to be able to add data after the backup is
created.  Under OS X, I've found that hdiutil does a decent job of this with
the added bonus that the disk images it creates are convenient to work with
because they can easily be mounted and unmounted, transferred to other
media, etc.  I'm looking for something similar on Linux.  My fallback will
be gzipped tar files, but that feels like a step backward.

--David