[Cialug] Linux equivalent to OS X hdiutil

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Jun 19 15:06:00 CDT 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 1:50 PM, David W. Body wrote:

> Maybe "sparse, compressed, read-write" isn't the correct description
> because I only want to write it once, but hdiutil will create a
> sparse, compressed disk image from a directory as follows:
>
>   hdiutil create -srcfolder my_directory -format UDZO my-diskimage.dmg

That's just a gzip-compressed read-only disk image. UDZO is "sparse"
in that the unallocated blocks aren't included in the image, but it
can't grow as you add data because you can't add data.

hdiutil can create what it calls "sparse" images -- files (or bundles)
that grow as you allocate blocks -- with the UDSP and UDSB formats.
But in those formats the allocated blocks aren't compressed, the
images simply excludes the unallocated blocks so that you don't need
to consume the entire image size until it's actually used.

Are you trying to create a read-only image with compressed data or
create a read-write image that excludes unallocated blocks? Or is
there some third option I'm missing?

	Zach