[Cialug] OT: Pre

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Jun 4 15:19:43 CDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 3:10 PM, kristau wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM, James Shoemaker <james at dhlake.com>
> wrote:
>>   Also so they could implement things like "visual voicemail".

You'd think phone providers would be happy to send you voicemail as a
MMS or email -- that would get you "visual voice mail" and they'd be
able to ding you for the (low priority, non-interactive) transmission
of the MMS or email data.

Given that calls to check voicemail tie up both the OTA network and
the voicemail server, and that those calls are not charged against on-
air minutes (at least not on any plan I've ever used), I just can't
see the benefit. But maybe I'm missing some vital piece of control/
profit that cellular providers want to keep by forcing you to call
into their voicemail system.

	Zach