[Cialug] OT: Pre

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:10:48 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM, James Shoemaker <james at dhlake.com> wrote:
>   Also so they could implement things like "visual voicemail".
>
> James

Yes, I remember people speculating that most providers were not
willing to allow a phone provider that level of access on their
network. Prior to Apple and the iPhone, the carriers held all the
cards. The iPhone threated (and still threatens) to flip this around,
allowing the phone manufacturers wield more power.

Apple came along and said, "This is what it will take to put our
devices on your network. If you can't provide it we will find someone
else who will." AT&T was probably not Apple's first choice, but they
were willing to play.

Once the obligations are over with AT&T, you can bet Apple will pose
that same question again to all the providers. When they do, I think
we'll see at least one or two more providers take them up.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night