[Cialug] Fwd: News Alert: Google Plans to Introduce a PC Operating System

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Wed Jul 8 10:56:10 CDT 2009

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Dave Weis<djweis at internetsolver.com> wrote:
>> Linux-based netbooks are also a threat to the support department because
>> the purchasers don't realize it won't run any of the software they have
>> or are familiar with.
>
> But this kind of goes against the concept of a netbook. The netbooks
> aren't for installing software, they're for consuming network
> services. If you start installing software on it they it's not a
> netbook, i'ts a small form factor PC.

Good point but I don't think that the consumers will get that part. No
matter what it came with, you'll still want a chat client or some other
doodad that it didn't come with.

> What OS is on your TiVo? Your GPS? Your cell phone? Who cares, they're
> appliances, they do what they do. This is the idea of a netbook. If
> you are creating content you need a PC. If you're consuming content or
> communicating a netbook will do.

Correct but for better or worse more people are 'creating' what they
believe is content and will need more tools to get that done...

--
Dave Weis
515-224-9229
djweis at internetsolver.com