[Cialug] Fwd: News Alert: Google Plans to Introduce a PC Operating System

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 8 10:46:02 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Dave Weis<djweis at internetsolver.com> wrote:

> Linux-based netbooks are also a threat to the support department because
> the purchasers don't realize it won't run any of the software they have
> or are familiar with.

But this kind of goes against the concept of a netbook. The netbooks
aren't for installing software, they're for consuming network
services. If you start installing software on it they it's not a
netbook, i'ts a small form factor PC.

What OS is on your TiVo? Your GPS? Your cell phone? Who cares, they're
appliances, they do what they do. This is the idea of a netbook. If
you are creating content you need a PC. If you're consuming content or
communicating a netbook will do.

If you've not seen it yet, check out the mobline netbook intro video
at http://moblin.org/documentation/moblin-netbook-intro

If I sound passionate on the subject it's because I'm excited for the
changes that are coming from thinking about computers (and their OS)
differently.

--
Matthew Nuzum