[Cialug] OT: continuity test

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Thu Jul 2 15:23:29 CDT 2009

For you electronics gurus out there...

For our SCCA autocross timers, we have a set of cables that go from the
timer head unit, to a photo sensor head out on the course (similar to a
garage door safety sensor, bounces a light off a reflector). The cables
have 3 conductors, we're using a fairly light gauge stranded wire,
probably about like what's in ethernet cable. The connectors are 1/4"
stereo headphone jack style (3 connectors). The cables may be up to
about 250 feet in length.

Occasionally someone will get off course and run over one of the cables
with their car, and they get some rough treatment at times, may get
kinked, and get dragged around parking lots. I'd like to have some kind
of way to do a quick cable test on them during setup to help shorten the
troubleshooting time, so we'd know whether or not it's a cable issue, or
another issue with the photo sensor.

Anyone have an idea of a simple device we could build to test the
cables, or would we be better off using a multi-meter, or another
pre-existing device?

-dc